Senior Pastor, Sagemont Church
Dr. John D. Morgan was called to pastor the Sagemont Baptist Chapel, a mission of the First Baptist Church in Pasadena, Texas, on June 1, 1966. With his wife Beth and 14 others by his side, he set out to spread the gospel to a small suburban area southeast of Houston. Over 45 years later, Dr. Morgan and the nearly 18,000-member Sagemont Church still share a passion for winning people to Christ locally and around the world.
Dr. Morgan grew up in Pasadena, TX, graduating in 1959 from Pasadena High School. His father, Dr. L.D. Morgan, was the pastor of the First Baptist Church in Pasadena for over thirty-three years. That church also licensed and ordained John as he continued his studies at Baylor University (BA 1963) and at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (BD 1966). Post-graduate degrees include a Lit. D. degree from the California School of Theology (1982) and a Doctorate of Sacred Theology from Southwest Baptist University (1986).
At Sagemont, Dr. Morgan has seen much change and growth since the church began. Throughout the change, Pastor Morgan has always stood firmly in his commitment to preach the message of the cross and salvation to all. That commitment resulted in the church’s building of a 170-foot, 90-ton cross on its property that is seen by over 1,000,000 people each week as they pass the church campus. Lives have been saved as people who have seen the cross stop for answers to life’s problems, only to find the real answer they are seeking is Jesus Christ. In Dr. Morgan’s years at Sagemont, over 18,350 have come to know Christ as Savior, over 15,300 have united with the church from another church, over 12,591 have been baptized, and over 325 have been licensed or ordained to the gospel ministry.
Dr. Morgan’s goal as pastor has been to lead an effective church rather than a successful church. The hallmark moment in his ministry came in 1975 when he realized through his study of Scripture that the church, according to God’s Word, should owe no one anything. That single principle changed the way Sagemont Church did ministry from that moment on, and Dr. Morgan has taught what has become the Financial Freedom Seminar to over 1,000,000 people in live and recorded seminars nationwide.
Because of the debt-free principle, Sagemont Church owes no money. The church buildings and property are valued at over $50 million and are debt-free. The newest building on campus is a $29 million worship center and adult education facility that was paid in full before the completion of construction. Budget and offering receipts total over $19 million annually. Mission gifts have increased over the years to over $2 million per year, and the church is able to financially help people and other churches locally and globally because its funds are not committed to debt retirement. Total gifts received over the church’s history have exceeded $247 million.
Dr. Morgan and his wife Beth have two sons, two daughters-in-law, and three grandchildren. Son Sean Hunter Morgan is married to Leslee, and son Dean Fisher Morgan is married to Tara. Sean’s and Leslee’s children are Max, Miles, and Maris.
If you are willing to give six hours of your time and make a commitment to handle your finances God’s way, it will probably be worth thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to you.
God has used the Financial Freedom Seminar to dramatically change the lives of thousands of people. What He has done for others, He will do for you if you are willing to adjust your schedule and join me for six hours.
- Come find out what God is up to and get in on it. God’s economic plans never experience recession. His supply is limitless and His promise is to meet your every need if you will live a life of obedience.
- Childcare will be provided for children birth through 6th grade, however, reservations are required. Please call Tracy Cox in our AdventureLand Ministry office to make childcare reservations. (281) 481-8770 Ext. 2632.“And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
- In 1975 God showed Pastor John Morgan through His Word the need to depend on God to supply his and the church’s needs instead of depending on the world’s financial systems. Since leading Sagemont Church to become debt-free shortly thereafter, Dr. Morgan took the principles he learned through study and personal experience and developed the Financial Freedom Seminar.
- The Financial Freedom Seminar has helped hundreds, if not thousands, of people and churches around the country get out of debt and learn to live on what God provides. Many will testify that not only are they able to live without financial worry, but their overall quality of life has improved.
- The seminar teaches:
- How to handle God’s money God’s way
- How to buy the right kind of insurance for your family
- How to get out of debt quickly
- How to invest wisely for maximum return
- How to live comfortably on what God provides
- Dr. Morgan teaches the Financial Freedom Seminar at Sagemont at least once each year. It is free for anyone to attend. If you are out of the Houston area and would like Dr. Morgan to come to your church to teach the Financial Freedom Seminar, please contact his administrative assistant, Beverly Chambers for more information and available dates.